Who knew fundraising could be so much fun?
This past Saturday night, we kicked out the jams with fellow local bands Uncle Jackie, the Emblematics and Dr. Friday at the Blind Beggar Pub–and ended up raising $2,000 for the Alberta Cancer Foundation, which is on the cutting edge of cancer research, prevention, treatment, and care.
Besides the fabulous music (and the appearance of a certain pink fretless bass guitar by one Ramona, sweeeeet!), there were plenty of highlights from a fabulous night:
- All bands totally buying in to the concept, handing over envelopes stuffed with cash from their ticket sales;
- Great raffle prizes offered up by Big Rock Brewery, the Blind Beggar and Enbridge (title sponsor of the Canada-wide Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer), whose local Community Investment rep Lennina came down to help us make draws;
- The Blind Beggar donating its full portion of the door to the cause;
- A full house with very generous patrons, many of whom ponied up big-time for the 50-50 and raffle draws; and
- Our 50-50 winner (pictured above, at left), who gave back more than a quarter of his winnings to the fundraising pot.
All in all, it was a pretty amazing night. Thank you to everyone who gave so generously.
Oh, and f**k cancer.